Tuesday 31 July 2012

Advice Part 63- My wine bar fantasy


One of my worst traits (and yes, there are many bad ones) is that I have a REAL problem with my endless pursuit of “wild flights of fancy” and “hare-brained schemes.”


In the past year, for example, I have SERIOUSLY considered
a)      Hosting a Pedro Almodóvar film festival
b)      Moving to Spain to teach English
c)       Quitting my job and writing a novel

My advice to young players is that idle daydreaming is all very well and good, but it’s best to realise that sometimes, fantasies are best left in the ethereal realm....


How do I know this? Read on....

A few months ago, I was walking through my suburb when I saw that a shop was up for lease. And, needless to say, my imagination immediately began running riot. This was the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT opportunity for me to OPEN MY OWN, PRIVATE BAR! Just think of it.....


  • I wouldn’t need to commute to work- I’d just walk up the street.
  • I could have a few drinks ON THE HOUSE and not have to catch a cab home.
  • I would never have to worry about horrible music, as I’d be controlling the tunes
  • I’d have a legitimate excuse for foraging around in second hand shops, searching for furniture
  • AND I could spend DAYS coming up with a suitably witty name for the establishment

I got so excited about this that (I hate to say it) I actually contacted the real estate agent, asking how much the rent was.

It was only then that I started to realise that this was an absolutely ridiculous plan because....
  • I don’t have any money
  • The rent was $65,000 a year (plus costs). And that’s not even considering the money needed for hiring staff, fitting the place out, and ordering stock
  • I have NEVER worked in a bar, so I’d have no idea how to make even the simplest drink
  • I am not a “night person”, which is a bit of a problem if your establishment’s key trading hours are in the evening
  • AND last (but not least) I wasn’t able to think of a single witty name, let alone a selection....

Consequently, the wine bar was placed on the proverbial “back burner.”

But I’m confident in the knowledge that in a few months, I’ll probably have another equally impractical and unachievable mission occupying my time.....


2 comments:

  1. I love this entry, Helen. You should *never* give up "harebrained" schemes: ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg! And don't worry, I don't think I'll be giving up on them any time soon!

    ReplyDelete