Thursday 9 August 2012

Advice Part 64- You work WHAT hours?!

With the weekend almost upon us, I thought it was an appropriate time to write about an issue which has been perplexing me for some time.

And what may this be? Working hours.

My advice to young players is that acting like a martyr by working long hours is NOT impressive, and rather than making you look "driven" and "ambitious", it actually looks like you desperately need a life.

How do I know this? Read on....

A few weeks ago, I went to drinks at a bar with a friend. She mentioned that some other people would be joining us soon, but that they were still finishing up at work.

At 8:30pm.

On a Friday night.
Hmmmm.....

When the said individuals eventually arrived, I decided to make polite conversation with one of them:
  • Me: So. What do you do?
  • Him: I'm a corporate lawyer.
  • Me: Wow.....(big pause).....Umm, that must be interesting.
  • Him: Yeah, really long hours though.
  • Me (knowing exactly where this conversation was heading): Right
  • Him: Yes. I work late most nights. And on the weekend, too.
  • Me: Oh.
  • Him: What sort of hours do you work?
  • Me: Well, I usually finish at the office at 4:30, although I sometimes stay until 5.
  • Him (eyes boggling): 4:30 AM? Gee, that's CRAZY! I've never worked past midnight. Phwoar!
  • Me: Err, no. 4:30 PM. I work 8 hours a day.
  • Him (very embarrassed): Right.


What really disturbed me about this exchange was that my interlocutor thought that working until 4:30 IN THE MORNING was a more likely scenario than working until 4:30 IN THE AFTERNOON, which is what I would describe as "normal hours."


What the hell?!
 
Maybe it's just me, but if I am hired to work 8 hours a day, I am going to work 8 hours a day. I'm not going to sit in the office until 10pm so that I look "committed to my job", because, frankly, there's other things in my life which are important. Like actually going out, relaxing and (shock, horror) ENJOYING MYSELF.


Sure, I may not ever be able to afford a house in Woollahra and I'm not going to be shopping in Gucci or Hermes any time soon. But you know what? That REALLY doesn't worry me.

Now, back to work!

2 comments:

  1. hear hear! I have NEVER been one of those types who believe long hours= committment to the job. I considered myself highly committed, yet also efficient enough that I can leave work when I am supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly! I totally agree. To me, no life outside of work + inability to accomplish tasks within regular working hours = staying back ridiculously late.

    ReplyDelete