Sunday 18 September 2011

Advice Part 20- Drunk Dialling

Aah, the telephone. What more valuable communication tool can one have in one's arsenal?



My advice to young players is that whilst mobile phone communication is all well and good, there are certain times when you should NEVER, EVER decide to call.

More precisely, you should NOT ring if
  1. You are intoxicated/inebriated/drunk/a bit tipsy/smashed/whatever other term you wish to use to describe a state of having consumed excessive alcohol
  2. You don't actually have anything to say
  3. It is after midnight
  4. You have been avoiding making the call sober
  5. ALL of the above apply


Case in point. I had what could best be termed a very "sociable" Saturday. I went to a housewarming party in the afternoon (which adjourned to the pub), and then went to another pub to watch the rugby.

By 11 o'clock, I had been "celebrating" for a grand total of 6 hours, and was, how shall I say it, "somewhat merry."

Understatement of the century.


Somehow (thank god), I resisted the urge to party on at karaoke, and resolved to head home instead.

But when I arrived at my place, I decided it was a FANTASTIC time to make a phone call which I had been putting off making ALL WEEK, because my sober self had decided that calling this person was NOT a good idea.

Oh. Dear.

So, I called the number.


I got the voicemail and left a message along the lines of : "Hey......Umm, it's me.......Aah, err, how are you?........(long pause)......Yeah, I, I've, aah, decided to give you a call (even longer pause)......Oh god, whoops, I don't have anything to say (uproarious laughter).....So, umm, hello.....Hope it's going well for you......(muffled fumbling as I try to hang up)....Bye."


Needless to say, I DID NOT get a call back.

I have decided in future that the only number I will be calling after midnight is that of the taxi to take me home.

2 comments:

  1. So does the drunk-dialee know of the blog? If so, I'm looking forward to a post from him, along the lines of "Why did you call me in the middle of the night, psycho? and how did you get my phone number?". Or perhaps along the lines of "I've been constantly trying to call you, to tell you how I feel, but I've been busy helping underprivelaged kids in remote communities and I've had no mobile reception."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drunk-dialee has not been specifically told of the blog, but he is my Facebook friend, so he could easily find it. After I made the call, and left the message, I didn't hear anything, so I thought it had freaked him out (along the lines of the "why did you call me in the middle of the night?!" idea). But then I got a message from him this morning, saying his phone was off that evening, and that he found it rather amusing. So I guess that's a good outcome, right?

    ReplyDelete