Tuesday 13 September 2011

Advice Part 19- Life modelling for confidence?

Having a decent amount of self-confidence is generally a good thing. Not too arrogant, not too self-deprecating.....just confident ENOUGH.

Not that I'm in a position to talk, given that my own self-confidence could best be described as moribund......


But my advice to young players is that whilst self-confidence is good, think carefully about the methods you use to improve yours......

Case in point. On Monday night I was at a birthday party, and decided to engage in a bit of polite conversation with the man opposite me:
  • Me: "So, what do you do?"
  • Man: "Oh, I work in a few jobs. I do admin work."
  • Me: "What else?"
  • Man: "I'm a life model"
  • Me: "Err, oh, wow! That would be scary"
  • Man: "No, actually, it's great. It's really helped me to improve my confidence in my body." 


Maybe it's just me, but HOW ON EARTH could taking off your clothes, in front of a group of ABSOLUTE STRANGERS, IMPROVE your self-confidence?

Particularly when said strangers have to scrutinise your physique in minute detail, whilst you're standing in some uncomfortable posture?



And when they have probably been examining different people for the past few weeks, and comparing their respective figures?

Whilst I think it's great that the life modelling worked out for the man at the party, I've got to admit that I won't be taking off my gear in front of a class anytime soon.

Unless, of course:
  • ALL the lights are off. 
  • Guffawing, pointing, or cries of "take it ORRRFFFFF!" are NOT permitted
  • I am allowed to use a "strategically placed" drape AND
  • All the artists have to sign a disclaimer that they will NEVER discuss what they saw
But even then, I don't think I'll be volunteering.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment