Sunday 4 September 2011

Advice Part 17- Toilet wall graffiti

Today, I have been overcome by a wave of nostalgia.

And nothing makes me more nostalgic for the "good old days" than going into a toilet cubicle, and being greeted by a bare and boring wall.....

My advice to young players is that if you are fortunate enough in finding bathroom facilities which not only have graffiti, but where the graffiti is INTERESTING, then guard these cubicles with your life!


I remember when I was in first year uni, the graffiti on the walls of the ladies' toilets in the Holme Building was infamous. The cubicles were literally COVERED with writing, of the most scandalous kind. If you wanted to find out which academics were having "private tutorials" with their students, or other equally scurrilous gossip, there was no better place to go than the Holme Building. Even better, the graffiti was regularly updated, so you could read whole sordid sagas if you had the patience.




And trust me, I had enough patience to last a LIFETIME. In fact, my enjoyment of the Holme toilets graffiti was such that I used to regularly drop by just to read the updates, without needing to go to the toilet at all.....


Sad.

I know.

You can doubtlessly imagine my horror when the Holme toilets were renovated. Years of graffiti were replaced by boring, "easy clean", graffiti-proof tiles. I've been on the lookout for good toilets ever since, but aside from the Courthouse Hotel in Newtown (which SOMETIMES has funny drawings on the walls), I have had no success. My trips to the toilet are now boringly monotonous.

If anyone feels like redressing this problem, I can supply a permanent marker......

3 comments:

  1. Fisher Library men's loos used to be very good for witty graffiti in the early 1970s.

    Master Yindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney Uni toilets definitely win the "intelligent graffiti" prize....But more is needed!

    ReplyDelete