Sunday 17 July 2011

Advice Part 2- Costume drama drama

(Or why the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice should be R-rated...My advice to young players- if you are prone to excessive romantic fantasies, DO NOT WATCH!)

Colin Firth has A LOT to answer for.



I was a mere 15 years of age when the BBC released the definitive televisual version of Pride and Prejudice, starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Having no experience of costume drama (and even less of the "art of love"), this particular production knocked my proverbial socks off.


I would sit breathlessly, waiting for Sunday night and the next episode to be shown (look, this was before the days of internet downloading!). I taped each episode on my parents' VCR (yes, yes, laugh all you like- technological dark ages, here we come), and watched it repeatedly throughout the week.

I was obsessed. That's putting it mildly.....

Unfortunately, excessive exposure to costume drama may have a negative impact on the adolescent mind. More precisely, watching Colin Firth
  • riding around on a horse
  • casting sultry glances over the piano (sigh!)
  • making declarations along the lines of "allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you" (double sigh!) AND
  • emerging from a pond in a dripping white shirt (triple sigh!)



has REALLY affected what I look for in a potential partner.

Sadly, there are very few horseriding gentlemen in my circle. But if you know of any, please inform them that I would be glad to make their acquaintance, and invite them over for tea and cucumber sandwiches....

No comments:

Post a Comment