Monday 21 November 2011

Advice Part 29- Daggy musical taste

I have loved music for as long as I can recall. But whilst I am an enthusiastic listener, my musical taste could best be described kindly as "eclectic", and not-so-kindly as "absolutely woeful."


Case in point- my first "musical purchase" was a John Farnham single which I bought with money I had received for my sixth birthday.


As if my liking for John Farnham wasn't bad enough in and of itself, I must admit that I STILL HAVE the single in question.

And listen to it. Occasionally.

My musical taste has evolved (somewhat) since then, but I do still have a bit of a liking for some VERY daggy music.

My advice to young players is that liking daggy music is all well and good, but it is best to make sure that said songs are removed from your iPod BEFORE you allow somebody to have a look through your playlists.


 How do I know this? Read on.....

On Sunday night, I was having a conversation with a friend about musical tastes, and the following occurred:
  • Him: What sort of music do you like?
  • Me (vaguely): Oh, just about everything.....
  • Him: Sounds interesting (pause).....Hey, do you mind if I have a look through your iPod?
  • Me : What? Err, my iPod? Oh, you don't want to do that!
  • Him: Yes, I do. I'm curious to see what's there. 
 


With some reluctance, I handed over the iPod. There was a bit of a pause as he scrolled down the list. Then:
  • Him: So, you like the B52s?
  • Me (blushing furiously): Ha ha ha! Err, yes.....
  • Him: And the Bee Gees?
  • Me (wanting to curl up and die): Yep. Them too.
  • Him: And look, Billy Joel!
  • Me (weeping silently): Yes, Billy Joel
  • Him: Oh! But there's the Beastie Boys! I almost missed them.
  • Me (frantically): Yes, the Beastie Boys...The others are just there for fun.
  • Him: Hmm, right.
Fortunately, he gave up after the "Bs", so he didn't discover Cold Chisel, Kylie Minogue, and Outkast lurking further down the list. Thank God.

But I STILL maintain that "shake it like a Polaroid picture" is an immortal song lyric.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wait - are you saying B-52s are daggy?
    I think there are reasons that music becomes popular, which are largely hidden to music snobs who deliberately avoid such music. These may be a combination of good and bad reasons.
    For example Billy Joel, sells a lot of records, partly because even people who don't like music like Billy Joel. But also, since his music works on different levels, lots of hardcore music nerds are also really into Billy Joel too.
    Hmmm, perhaps if you're worried about this happening again, you could write a few sentences justifying each selection.... or you could just keep a spare iPod loaded with Brian Jonestown Massacre and Radiohead and Ben Harper and Muse... and maybe Regina Spektor and Polyphonic Spree http://xkcd.com/300/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Beaver!
    Yes, I think the B52s are pretty daggy- don't you? But I must admit that I really, really like "Love Shack."
    I reckon a lot of music snobs don't even bother listening to "uncool music" because they have already made up their minds that anything which is "loved by the masses" must be bad quality. And I definitely don't think that's true. I would rather listen to a catchy "low brow" song that makes me want to dance, than sit around enduring some edgy avant garde track that sounds like pulling fingernails down the blackboard.
    I totally agree about Billy Joel- he's a fantastic pianist (which I think is why the nerds like him), but his songs are also accessible (yay for "Uptown Girl"!)
    The back up iPod sounds like a perfect idea!:D I can load it with all my "indie faves" and wax lyrical about my edgy tastes. (BTW, I actually do have Radiohead on my iPod already- it's not ALL daggy music.....)

    ReplyDelete