Sunday 13 November 2011

Advice Part 28- Making yourself more attractive.....

Confession- I have a guilty fascination for trashy magazines..... In fact, I almost ENJOY waiting at the doctors' surgery, as it gives me an excuse to read such "insightful" material, which I would NEVER, ever buy myself. 

Consequently, I am well acquainted with the variety of recommendations on "upping your sex appeal", "improving your bangin' bikini body" and "making yourself too hot to resist."


But my advice to young players is that all these recommendations will be TOTALLY useless if you forget the most basic laws of personal hygiene. 

How do I know this? Read on....

A few weekends ago, my friend and I decided to go to karaoke. All was well and good- we had a few drinks, sang a couple of songs, and were having a nice night.

Until I had the misfortune to attract the attention of one of the male patrons.


As those who know me could attest, this sort of thing DOES NOT happen regularly. In fact, I could count on one FINGER the number of times a man has approached me......

But my initial excitement quickly turned to horror, because as soon as the gentleman in question came near me, my nostrils were assailed by a veritable wave of body odour. It was just ghastly..... He smelt like he had run a marathon, and then come straight to the pub.

As you do.

Consequently, I couldn't listen to a word he was saying, because I was so busy trying to avert my nose. As were all the other patrons within a hundred metre radius of us.



Needless to say, I politely refused his offer of a date. But I did feel a bit sorry for the poor guy, as he may not have realised he had a problem.

If anyone has any SUBTLE hints for how to tell people they need "a bit more deodorant", I'd be happy to hear! Otherwise, I will be donning my gas mask on future visits to the pub.....


2 comments:

  1. I think this is an instance where it helps to have a tactless friend who says what they think without regard to anyone else's feelings. If you can manoeuver them into the stink zone, they will happily tell the person "You stink, you should get some deodorant" in a completely non-embarrassed way, and the stinker will recognise that this is one of those people without any tact or manners, and probably won't be too insulted by it. Unfortunately, if you come right out and ask this kind of friend to talk to the stinker, they may find it amusing to say something along the lines of "My friend Helen told me to tell you that you stink".If you don't have that kind of friend handy (not everybody has one, and sometimes it's easier to leave them at home) I guess the alternative is to rock-paper-scissors amongst your friends to pretend this kind of person for the 20 seconds or less that it actually takes to tell someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beaver- yes, a tactless friend sounds PERFECT for this sort of situation. Maybe I could invite my dad along? He is notoriously tactless, and tends to just say what he thinks, regardless of who is being hurt. The only problem with that option is that perhaps the smelly person may think that the tactless individual was just "joking around", and not take it seriously....After all, it's a pretty extreme thing to say. I found the situation really difficult, as the man seemed like quite an interesting person, but the body odour was just too much. If I ever need to increase my deodorant, please let me know, as I would hate the same thing to be said about me!

    ReplyDelete