Tuesday 25 October 2011

Advice Part 26- Avoiding photos when you're NOT photogenic

One thing I know only too well is that there are some people who always look AMAZING in photographs.

Even if you catch them from an angle which would be totally unflattering for any mere mortal, they manage to look great. The "camera loves them", so to speak.


I am NOT one of these people. 

Rather, if there was a contest for the least photogenic person on earth, the only serious contenders for the title would be me and my mother (sorry, Mum!).

No matter how hard I try (and trust me, I'm doing my best), in almost every photo I have:
  • My eyes closed
  • My mouth pulled into a horrible snarly grimace
  • My hair flying crazily all over the place.
My advice for young players is that if you, too, are TOTALLY unphotogenic, it is best to develop some (not too) subtle techniques for avoiding the camera.

Here's a few examples from a wedding I attended recently. As we all know, weddings are one event where almost everyone is running around with their photography equipment. This provides a MAJOR challenge for the camera shy......But, as these photos "of me" show, it is possible to (almost) avoid having your picture taken! This can be accomplished by:

  1.  Hiding on the edge of the photo (that's me in the pink spotty skirt....)
 2. Concealing yourself behind a tall gentleman in a purple shirt


3. Making good use of an umbrella (that's me closest to the camera).

However, if all this fails, and you simply CANNOT avoid having your photo taken, there is always the "back turning" option, as I am illustrating here at another party:


And no, I am NOT ready for my close up, Mr DeMille.....

4 comments:

  1. My family is so unphotogenic that we once feared that we would be denied entry to France when we submitted our visa applications (complete with hideous photos) on the grounds that we might infect their gene pool with our ugliness. By a funny coincidence, my brother ended up marrying a French woman...
    I married the most photogenic person on the planet and, happily, my children got his camera-friendly gene so it is possible to break this terrible cycle. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Funkylamb! So, it sounds like being photogenic/unphotogenic runs in the family? That's definitely the case with the women in my family- mum, I, and my maternal grandma are all very unphotogenic. I'm heartened to hear that your husband and children are photogenic, though! Perhaps there's hope for any future offspring that I have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are some pretty good saves. Hmmm it's that economic problem where what you're doing is not very effective (in this case looking good in photographs) - this means that you can a) concentrate your resources on other things or b) put much more effort into that activity for a guaranteed not-too-bad outcome.
    In this instance, there are added dangers because wedding photographers 1.) take a lot of pictures 2.) try to make sure they capture every guest. Therefore, trying to avoid being photographed becomes a higher risk strategy, since they're likely to catch you at some point. But fortunately 3. wedding photographers (unlike certain newspaper photographers) are likely to know a good photo when they see it, which might make it worthwhile trying to make sure you're in as many photos as possible, so that if you're in 50 photos and only 2% of them are any good, there'll be one for the album.... (hmmm, but we've already established that you're a ninja so you can just go on avoiding the photographer... unless the photographer is also a ninja)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beaver- Thanks! I agree, they are some pretty good saves. I'm particularly pleased with the fact that there is SOME evidence that I was at the wedding, but that it's almost impossible to identify me in any of the snaps. A rather good outcome, I think....

    I guess I COULD put more effort into being photographed, and then the law of averages would seem to dictate that there would be a greater chance of me actually looking half decent in a couple of pictures....Perhaps I should start a photobombing campaign, where I deliberately try to get in as many photos as possible, just to increase my chances of looking OK?

    A ninja photographer? Now THAT would be a challenge!

    PS- Thank you for all your comments! I always enjoy reading them :)

    ReplyDelete