Tuesday 11 October 2011

Advice Part 24- Job Interviews

If I were to construct a list of "things which scare the proverbial living daylights out of me", job interviews would be Number 1.

No contest.


My advice for young players is that if you are invited to a job interview, TRY to keep your nervousness under control.....And work out IN ADVANCE who you are going to look at.....

Case in point. A few weeks ago, I went to a job interview at a university. This was my first interview for an academic position.



To say I was anxious is putting it mildly. VERY mildly. And that was before I even reached the interview......

And, let me assure you, my nervousness was turned up to 11 (note Spin̈al Tap reference) when I entered the room to "meet the panel."



Perhaps it's just me, but I regard interview panels as the thumb screws of the interview torture chamber....(how's that for a creative metaphor?). My BIG problem is that I never know who to look at:
  • the person who asked the question?
  • the other panel members?
  • no one?
  • everyone?

Consequently, I found my head spinning around like a top. Or one of those clowns at the fun fair where you have to put the ball in their mouth.


And, to make matters worse, I was also trying to sound:
  • intelligent
  • interesting AND
  • confident
Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

But at least my neck got more exercise in those 15 minutes than it has in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment