Wednesday 29 August 2012

Advice Part 67- Dating Disasters Part 4 (the original Dating Disaster)

I realised today that I haven't written a "Dating Disasters" themed blog for a while. And why may that be?
  • Because I am no longer single? Ha ha. Funny. VERY funny.
  • Because I am now so well-versed in avoiding dating disasters that every date I go on is a rip-roaring success? No. Please try again.


The answer is that I don't have any new dating disaster stories to impart because I, umm, haven't been on ANY dates (good, bad or indifferent) for at least 6 months.

I think we'll let that one go through to the proverbial keeper without comment.


But my advice to young players is that starting at the very beginning (which is, as The Sound of Music would tell us, "a very good place to start") can sometimes provide you with valuable insights about what is happening at the moment.

How do I know this? Read on.....

I had what could best be described as a somewhat delayed adolescence. In fact, it wasn't until I was (wait for it) 23 YEARS OLD that I first went on what could be described as a "date " (and those inverted commas are more important than you may think.....).


Dear god, this is SO SAD.

Anyway. Leaving that aside, my "first date" was one of those "is it or isn't it?" situations which seem to have plagued me EVER SINCE. To give a bit of background, I met the object of my ill-considered affections at uni, and, after some heavy-duty emailing, he suggested we "meet up for a coffee." Which turned into dinner and drinks.

All went well. Or so I thought, given my distinct lack of dating experience. Conversation was easy, there was some mild flirtation, discussion about single status, and the date lasted for 5 hours.

And when I got home and checked my email, I was delighted to find a message from the man in question, saying he had had a fantastic evening, was thinking of me in the car on the way home, and wanted to "catch up again really soon."

I took this as a good sign.

BUT (and there's ALWAYS a "but....").....

The next morning, another email arrived in my box. Written in the cold light of day, my previously ardent suitor "wanted to clarify what (I) thought last night was." He believed it was "a friendly meeting, not a date", and "didn't want (me) to get the wrong impression from (his) very friendly behaviour."


What the HELL?!


I wish I could say that I am now a maestro at avoiding such ambiguous situations. But, unfortunately, I am still absolutely RUBBISH at this sort of stuff. And I wouldn't mind betting that I'll still be engaging in such "friendly meetings" when I'm well into my 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment