Friday 26 August 2011

Advice Part 15- Compliments

Compliments- they're generally thought to be pleasant things, right?


I agree. But unfortunately, I have a TOTAL inability to accept a compliment....

My advice to young players is to follow the old adage, and "do as I say, not as I do." If someone gives you a compliment, the best response is to say "Thanks", rather than questioning the compliment giver's sanity.....

Case in point for what NOT to do. Recently, I bought a new dress to wear to work. It was reduced by 50% in the sales, and although it wasn't the sort of thing I would typically buy (hell, it was EVEN ABOVE MY KNEES!!!), I decided to purchase it.



I have worn the dress 5 times since then. And EVERY TIME someone has complimented me on it.

This is nice, but my BIG PROBLEM is that I am simply unable to accept a compliment graciously. Instead, this is what typically happens:

  • Complimenter: Wow, I like your dress. It's really cute.
  • Me: Ha ha ha, you're joking, aren't you?
  • Complimenter: No, I'm not joking. It's nice.
  • Me: Maybe from that angle. But you should see it from the back.
  • Complimenter (heading to the rear): It looks fine from the back! 
  • Me: You don't think it's too short?
  • Complimenter: NO! It's not too short. It's a nice dress. That's all.
  • Me: Hmm.

Needless to say, after this sort of exchange, an awkward silence tends to descend.....

My aim is to learn to say "Thanks", and shut up. But I think it's going to be a LONG journey....

No comments:

Post a Comment