Monday 15 August 2011

Advice Part 12-When NOT to catch the bus

Aah, Sydney's public transport- what a source of delight!

There are few things which inspire me more than boarding a filthy, overcrowded, late-running peak hour bus and enduring a (wait for it) 45 MINUTE ride to travel 4 KILOMETRES! I would have been faster in my horse and carriage.



But at least I'm not pregnant.

My advice to young players is that if you ARE expecting a baby, or are not able to stand for extended periods of time, DON'T catch the bus. Because you can be almost guaranteed that none of the other passengers will stand up for you.

Case in point. Yesterday, I caught the bus at 5:40pm, and although I got on at the second stop, I still had to stand. Nevermind. I wasn't too fussed.

However, when we reached Railway Square, a HEAVILY pregnant woman decided to board. She was OBVIOUSLY expecting, and looked totally exhausted.

But did anyone offer her a seat? No, of course not- that would have required a modicum of human decency....

So she took hold of the post next to the seats which are SPECIFICALLY MARKED for less mobile people, and prepared to stand for the trip.

After about 5 minutes (!!!!!) the businessman (!!!!!) on the "mobility seat" looked up and noticed the lady.

  • Businessman- "When is the baby due?"
  • Woman- "2 months"
  • Businessman- "Wow, good luck with it".

He then (wait for it) RETURNED TO READING HIS BOOK!

Wow. Just wow.

All I can say is that in the (extremely unlikely) event that I ever decide to have a child, I WILL NOT be catching the bus when pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment