Monday 25 June 2012

Advice Part 58- Neighbours

Interesting fact- before I moved into my current apartment, I had only ever lived in houses. And this suited me just fine. I liked living in a self-contained place, with a garden, where I had the freedom to do what I liked within my own fences.



But apartment living is VERY different.

My advice to apartment-dwelling young players is that it is prudent to remember that there are other people VERY CLOSE BY if you decide to partake in unusual outdoor activities.

How do I know this? Read on.....

On Saturday, I decided to make a tiramisu. As we all know, I'm rubbish at cooking, so before I started my epic kitchen adventure, I decided to go for a walk to psych myself up. On the way back from said walk, I saw a sign in the vet's surgery saying "We want your old newspaper! Donations needed ASAP" with a picture of a sad looking cat beside it.


How could I resist such a plea for help? Answer: I couldn't

I had, however, already emptied my newspapers into my apartment block's bin, which meant that I would have to do a bit of a "bin raid" to get them back.



Still, no biggie.

However, I forgot about the newspapers the second I got home, and instead started merrily making the tiramisu. And (perhaps unsurprisingly) I decided I'd have to do a bit of "quality control testing" on the sherry used in the dessert. So I grabbed the nearest cup (the measuring jug I'd been using to whisk the eggs), and poured out an ample measure.

It was at this moment, whilst slurping sherry out of the measuring cup, that I remembered the papers. Fearing I'd forget about them again, I headed outside, drink in hand, and started digging around in the bin, tossing suitable papers over my shoulder, whilst taking sips from the cup and smacking my lips.


 
It was only when I turned around that I discovered my neighbour there. She had been watching me THE WHOLE TIME, and was looking absolutely horrified. After all, I was
  • Drinking before midday
  • Using a filthy measuring cup as my beverage receptacle AND
  • Spending a copious amount of time foraging in the communal bin.



Oh dear. 

I gave her a friendly wave, but she quickly headed back inside, clearly believing I was mad.

Maybe I should take up dumpster diving for an encore?

No comments:

Post a Comment