Wednesday 30 May 2012

Advice Part 54- How to avoid cooking

As those who know me well would vouch, one of my favourite passtimes is eating. There's few things I enjoy more than heading out to dinner at a new restaurant, and being presented with a veritable culinary extravaganza.

I'm getting hungry just writing this....


But whilst I have an enthusiasm for the consumption of food, I absolutely LOATHE cooking.

My advice for young players is that if you are like me, and the mere thought of cooking sends you into a veritable panic, it is possible to avoid this hated task without resorting to take away.

How do I know this? Read on.....

Confession- when I moved out of home, I didn't know how to cook a thing. I know, this is shameful, and I should have helped my mum out more when I was living in the nest. But that's all well and good in retrospect.....

I arrived at my new share house with pots, pans, measuring cups, and all manner of kitchen gadgets, which I fully intended to put to good use. I had visions of myself preparing sumptuous banquets of roast suckling pig with red wine jus and oil of truffles, followed by yak milk custard with hand-ground cocoa beans.

Accompanied, of course, with a healthy serve of pretentiousness.


Needless to say, this didn't happen, because I quickly discovered that I hated cooking. Every aspect of it. The chopping. The peeling. The slicing. The dicing. The frying. The baking. The burning.

All of it except the eating.

But that's when I came up with my GENIUS plan. And let me tell you, this knowledge CHANGED MY LIFE! (yes, this is beginning to sound like some self-help seminar, but relax, it's not)

I realised that all I had to do was cook up one HUGE batch of stew or casserole, split it up into 7 little containers, put these in the freezer, and my cooking was done for the ENTIRE WEEK.

Whoo hoo!

This way, I could still be healthy, legitimately tell my mum I was cooking my own meals, AND avoid spending hours in the kitchen. Perfect.

The only problem with this approach is that there, err, isn't much variety. But I guess that's a sacrifice that needs to be made.

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment