Wednesday 23 May 2012

Advice Part 53- Spending too much time in the shower

In my opinion, there are few things better than a nice shower. However, showers (or more precisely, the time spent in the shower) can also be the source of bitter disputes.....

My advice to young players is that IF you are in the unfortunate position of having to share your showering facilities with other individuals, you better hope that none of them are members of the "too much time in the shower is never enough" species, or your sanity-and cleanliness- will be SORELY tested.


How do I know this? Read on.....

Until I was 26 years old, I lived at home with my parents (yes, I know, I should have left the proverbial nest earlier, but I had neither the funds nor the inclination), whose house only has one bathroom.

"OK," you might say. "Three people sharing one bathroom- that shouldn't be a problem!"

If only.


My mum and I tend to be pretty speedy with our showering. No issues there. But my dad was (and, by all reports, still is) another kettle of fish ENTIRELY.

One and a half hours is the typical duration of his daily libations, and anything less than an hour is considered akin to sacrilege.

God help you if he manages to nip into the bathroom ahead of you.




But my dad's extensive showering repertoire pales in comparison to my cousin, who is VERY vain about his appearance. When said cousin was staying with my grandfather, he once clocked up OVER TWO AND A HALF HOURS in the shower.

Bloody. Hell.

My unfortunate grandfather thought my cousin must have had an accident in there, and was starting to get very worried. But no- he eventually emerged around midday, amidst a mist of steam, a wave of cologne, and an elegant swishing of designer suit.



It was like that scene in As good as it gets when Jack Nicholson's character spends a couple of hours having a wash. Except Nicholson's character had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And was going on a date with Helen Hunt's character.

My cousin has no such excuses.

All I can say is, I hope I never have to share a bathroom with my father and cousin, or I will NEVER be getting a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment