Sunday 15 April 2012

Advice Part 48- Buying concert tickets

So, if you are anything like me, you will sporadically feel the urge to spend an insane amount of money going to see your preferred "artistes" perform. And there's nothing wrong with that. Far from it.

However, my advice to young players is that actually obtaining tickets to said concerts tends to be a torturous process, and that it is best to prepare yourself for hours of frustration.

How do I know this? Read on.....

Last week, I was thrilled to discover that PRINCE will be touring Australia this year. And, naturally, I was keen to go. Yes, I like Prince- laugh all you like, but who can resist a pint-sized gentleman in bizarre attire singing suggestive songs?


Tickets went on sale this morning at 9 a.m.

In the good old days, if you wanted to ensure you got good concert tickets, you would sleep outside the ticket office overnight, ready to storm the counter the second it opened.



But the internet changed all that. And NOT for the better.....

At 8:55a.m. this morning, I jumped online, and prepared to buy my ticket. Easy, right? WRONG!

Because everyone else on the entire planet seemed to have the same idea, the server crashed, and I couldn't get on. Then, when I finally did manage to reach the website, I was put in a "ticket queue" for an interminable time (as I had to wait for other people to Gett Off- ha ha, note song lyric reference?).

When I eventually reached the correct page at 9:45a.m., a second show had just been announced, which meant a new flurry of activity, and the website slowing down even more. Bloody hell.


It was 10a.m. before bought my ticket.

Right up the back.

During this time I had gained another ten grey hairs, further reducing my chances of Prince one day asking me to be his back up dancer (that is a joke, OK).

But let me assure you, when I get to the concert, I'm going to party like it's 1999 (sorry, that was REALLY bad).

No comments:

Post a Comment