Monday 9 April 2012

Advice Part 47- Coffee

As we all know, it is difficult to avoid the barrage of government advertising warning us of the dangers of consuming cigarettes and alcohol. Cigarette packets are emblazoned with such "subtle" messages as "smoking kills", whilst alcohol ads have the obligatory "enjoy responsibly" on the bottom.


But this got me thinking.....if the government is so concerned about preventing the imbibing of "dangerous" and "addictive" substances, then surely they should also be putting warnings on coffee shops....

Shouldn't they?????

My advice to young players is that you should approach coffee with caution, as you may soon find yourself with an expensive habit....


How do I know this? Read on....

I had my first cup of coffee when I was about 15, and HATED it. This was probably because it was instant coffee, brewed in my parents' abode, but whatever the reason, I loathed the taste, and couldn't understand what the fuss was about.

But 4 years later, I decided to try it again, and found it much more palatable. I subsequently developed a once a week coffee habit.

Then once a day.

Then twice a day.

Then (in the deepest, darkest months of thesis writing) up to four times a day.

Oh dear.

As I was purchasing all of my coffee at cafes, this habit was VERY expensive, and during the worst of my addiction, I was spending well over $50 a week on my caffeine consumption.

So I tried to give up. But after 3 days of headaches, jitters, and massive withdrawal symptoms, I was soon back at the cafe, gagging for my caffeine fix.


I'm now down to one or two cups a day, which is at least within the bounds of affordability. But if someone decides to invent caffeine patches, to wean oneself off the demon liquid, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment