Sunday 11 March 2012

Advice Part 45‐ Why you shouldn't trust your guidebook


If you are anything like me, when you go to a place that you´ve never been before, you may find yourself heavily relying on your mass produced tourist guidebook, which amusingly promises to reveal all the secret places “off the beaten track” which no one has ever discovered before.




No one, that is, apart from the other million or so people who have also bought the book.


Yes, Lonely Planet, I'm looking at you.




But my advice for your players is that you shouldn't bother trusting your guidebook, as most of the advice given is pretty unreliable anyway.


How do I know this? Read on.....


Last week, I was in Jerez, and I decided to go on a day trip to Cadiz. I took my guidebook along with me, and got it out on the train.




I soon realised that the couple sitting opposite me were quite interested in what I was doing, and the lady asked if she could have a look at the guide.


“Sure, no worries” I replied, and handed over the book.


The woman then opened up the page on Jerez, and had a look at the restaurant and cafe recommendations. 


And burst out laughing.


The following conversation ensued....

  • Lady (reading from guidebook): “Visitors to Jerez should first visit Restaurant X on Y street”
  • Man: “Ha ha ha! NO ONE would eat there.”
  • Lady: “I know! But then it recommends Restaurant Z if you want a romantic night”
  • Man: “Romantic? That's ridiculous. Do they mention Restaurant A?
  • Lady: “No.”
  • Man: “Restaurant B?
  • Lady: “No.”
  • Man: “This book is terrible” (turning to me). “I've lived in Jerez for years, and no local would ever go to those places. Only tourists. Who've read this book." 
  • Me: “Hmmm. Thanks.”




To be honest, this didn't exactly strike me as a surprise. I've followed a few guidebook recommendations before, and found them totally unsatisfying. But it was good to have confirmation of what I had long suspected.


Next time I leave my hotel, the guidebook is NOT coming with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment